6.26.2006

Birthday weekend

Another birthday come and gone, another year older. I had a great birthday, filled with great food, fun shopping and, of course, lovely presents (thanks again to you both!). I think that 24 will be the greatest year ever!

In addition to the birthday celebration, Eric and I also managed to have a very productive weekend. We went to the new Ikea in Canton on Sunday to look for some new furniture. If you've never been to an Ikea, here's a short tutorial: Swedish company; HUGE warehouse filled with mock-up rooms; instead of aisles, you wind through the store following a map; insanely crowded; tons of organizational items; most products are for self-assembling; CHEAP. In a nutshell, it's the perfect store. If there weren't a billion people there that day, I would have run through the warehouse with my arms flailing, yelling, "I WANT EVERTHING! I'LL TAKE IT ALL!" We ended up purchasing a new desk and add-on unit. If you're interested in seeing it, cut and paste this link:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=12&catalogId=10103&langId=-1&topcategoryId=15600&parentCats=15600*15872*16133&categoryId=16133&cattype=sub

It's the MIKAEL desk and add-on unit in the "black-brown/white." The whole thing was just $100!! I love it, it's the coolest desk ever! Plus, after we returned home from Ikea, we went to another store and bought a Papasan chair and stool to match! Our study is totally reorganized and probably the best room in our apartment now. Redecorating is F-U-N!

A side note: we've been referring to the new Papasan chair as the "Popozao" chair and I don't think we have any plans to quit. POPOZAO!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH! I forgot to mention this funny story. After Ikea, Eric and I went to Applebees for a late lunch and our waiter, Gary, was something else. He's one of those that is really high energy and it translates to semi-funny, semi-obnoxious and we didn't really want to encourage him too much. But he's probably the best waiter I've ever had. Sample dialogue:

"Oh, good choice, EXCELLENT choice, that's probably my most favorite thing on the menu."

"Great choices guys. And I'd tell you, too if I thought you'd made a mistake, even if it was the most expensive thing on the menu. One time, a guy ordered our steak and I said, 'I don't think you want to do that,' it's just really not very good."

"Oh god, you guys are out of chips! And just a second ago I was standing over there thinking to myself, 'Man, I'm so bored,' Looks like I really blew it, didn't I?"

OK. See what I'm saying? He wasn't annoying about it though, I thought he was hilarious. I wish he worked at the one in Double A.

Kari said...

I'm pretty sure this comment deserved a full post! Did you guys laugh out loud at this waiter? I love that he told you he was bored! I've never had a waiter quite like that. I've had ones that are high energy, but they are always obnoxious and never funny. Your guy was hilarious!

Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday and I'm glad. I'm jealous that you have an Ikea near you. Ann Arbor shopping is just cool... H&M, Moosejaw and now Ikea?! Not fair.