4.24.2006

Dancing Nancies

And by nancies, I mean old people. On Friday night the husband and I attended a gala for the American Cancer Society. Since we live in a strange town where we don't know anyone, we pretty much just sat at our table and commented on the various crazies that were in attendance... which brings me to this post. A pretty good band started playing after dinner, but I didn't think anyone would dance. The average age at this event was probably 50. Oh was I wrong! Tons of people started dancing and I just wanted to share with you some of our favorites:

The How Low Can You Go Woman decided to get as low to the floor as humanly possible no matter what the song. She obviously does yoga and wanted to show off her skills. She was pretty short though, which makes her feats less impressive.

The Loose Tie Guy not only loosened his tie the minute the band started, but also untucked his shirt and yes, took off his socks. At least we hope he took off his socks as opposed to coming to the event sockless. Anyway, he was probably in his late thirties and he had a hell of a time.

The Gumby Man was a short man in his late fifties, early sixties probably. He enjoyed the bend over move, where he literally bent his entire body over as if he wanted to touch his toes. He did this move really fast and really often and really, I can't figure out why.

And finally, The Amazon Lady was probably in her sixties. She was taller than everyone on the dance floor, but it wasn't her height that drew us to her. It was her crazy dance moves that I can't even describe and even more so, her outfit for the evening. She wore a beige pant suit with a jacket that she probably stole from Dorothy (of Golden Girls fame), dyed beige and thought "hey, this looks fab!"

Overall, it was a fantastic evening for people watching and we enjoyed ourselves more than we thought we would. If I had known there were going to be so many dancing nancies, I definitely would have taken a camera.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Old people dancing is funny! I hope that there are some elderly people shakin their stuff at Brittnee's wedding. Probably won't be as inventinve as Pueblo, but from what I can tell from Kari, you sort of have to make your own fun around there.