8.11.2008

No, Brant, I Cannot Do That


Since summer TV pretty much sucks, I've welcomed the seemingly non-stop Olympic coverage. I think we are three days into it and I've watched at least ten hours of this stuff. No matter the event, Brant enjoys asking me the question "Could you do that?" So in honor of that oh so hilarious and not at all annoying question, I would like to make a little list.


Top Five Olympic Events I Could Never Do

1. Diving (Synchronized or Individual) - I hold my nose when I jump into the water. Enough said here.

2. Gymnastics (Floor) - Anyone who has seen my cartwheel is well aware of my gymnastic skills. However, I simply could not do the random dance interludes. Yeah, the dance interludes. That's the only reason I could not do floor.

3. Badminton - I didn't not even realize until yesterday that this was an officially santioned Olympic event, much less that it was bad-minton, not bad-mitton. And the Chinese LOVE their badminton. The #1 male and #1 female players in the country recently got engaged... they are considered the Posh and Becks of China! Anyway, back to the list. If I remember correctly, I can play the sport. As a ten year old, I might have even been good, but I could not devote my life to this sport. Ever. And therefore, my Olympic dreams as a badminton champ are dead.

4. Water Polo - Tread water. Swim the length of the pool. Tread water. Rise up out of the pool with no assitance and throw a ball as hard as you can. Swim back. Tread water. Um, my legs hurt right now. No dice.

5. Opening Ceremony - That's right. I sincerely doubt I would have had any chance to make it as a member of the opening ceremony group. And there were over 15,000 people so it's not like there wasn't a bit of opportunity there. Although, the population is approaching a zillion over there, so I guess the odds were against me. Still, that was the best opening ceremony... no, the best display of art in motion I have ever seen. Getting 2,008 people to move in the same direction at the same time is a magnificent feat and I totally would have screwed it up!

2 comments:

Jenny Jackson said...

I can actually HEAR Brant saying that to you. Does he ever clue you in to whether or not he could do that, whatever that may be?

So far I've been captivated by the swimming. Michael Phelps and Dara Torres's stories are so interesting. And there's no way I could swim the way they do.

Brittnee said...

I think I could beat Michael Phelps in a 200 free. I should probably challenge him to a match...Jenny, I hear he trains up in Michigan. Think you can get that set up?