1.07.2008

Ommmmm...

I went to the fitness center at our apartment complex this morning. Try not to laugh at that opening statement. Anyway, I peered into the glass door and saw that with the exception of some flip flops, the rooms appeared empty. Feeling safe, I opened the door and walked in. Much to my surprise there was a man meditating in front of the mirror. It was completely silent in that room. Imagine how loud it must have been as I poured myself some water from the water cooler. When I stepped on the elliptical, I felt like I had just dropped a hundred pots and pans on a hard kitchen floor. The man didn't move.

I went on with my workout and he eventually finished up his meditation and left. Initially I was feeling terrible for interrupting him. The elliptical machine was so loud in that quiet little room. By the time he left though, I had decided that a fitness center is no place for meditation and, if anything, he interrupted my workout by making me feel like I had to be silent. Okay, maybe that's a bit much, but still, go meditate in a private space next time.

1 comments:

Erjacksonic said...

I use our apartment's fitness center, too, and let me confirm that many people do strange things there.

My favorite fitness center dork of all time...older guy (mid 40's) in late 80's jogging garb. Hits the treadmill, jogs at a normal pace for a few minutes, and then cranks the treadmill up to a DEAD SPRINT for about 60 seconds. Seriously, fastest I've ever seen a treadmill go. Then backs it down to a jog for another few minutes. Then right back up to the Carl Lewis setting. I was virtually certain he was going to fall and get flung against the wall, which was going to create an awkward situation for me when I had to call 911 while laughing hysterically.