4.07.2008

An Awards Show for the Real World...REALLY?!

It's time to end my unplanned hiatus from blogging. And what better way to do that than with a post about one of loves of my life: The Real World.

I bet you a dollar you can't name everyone in that picture off the top of your head. Bonus points if you can name the city they were in and the job they were assigned...

If you know me pretty well, then you know that there was a time in my life (circa JR year of college) that I really, really, really wanted to turn in my audition tape for the show. I even enlisted the help of Jenny and we wrote quite a nice audition song for my taping. It was to the tune of Jessica Simpson's "With You" and mentioned something about the real me being a southern girl with my Sevens on..... I know it's not American Idol, but if I was going to do it, I was going to do it big!

Needless to say, when it came crunch time and the tape needed to be made, I backed out. Anyway I say all that to say this, if there is anyone out there that has loved them some Real World, that she is me. But did MTV really think it was necessary to broadcast a TWO hour awards show in their honor? I'm not going to act like I didn't watch the show, because I did, but I watched it for the same reason you watch a train wreck - I was physically unable to peel my eyes away.

Sadly enough I had forgotten most of the roommates names (unless they are regulars on challenges or they are Coral, of which Coral is both) and sadly enough, I couldn't tell you what cities/seasons most of them were part of. And I for dang sure couldn't tell you much about their place in Real World History.

I have given many of week night to these people to watch what happens when people stop being nice and start being real but to save you the horror of watching the awards show (and I use the term awards loosely), I thought I'd recap for you:

1) Dunbar (Sydney) Steven(Las Vegas) and Kelly (New Orleans) were three roommates I remember not seeing and I say good for them!

2) Colie (Denver) won the "Playa" award

3) Johnny Bananas won the "Hottest Male" award

4)Coral won the "Roommate You Love to Hate" award and then promptly threw her award in the pool - best part of the show

There were probably more awards, but I don't really remember them....I think the Austin cast won for best season and I think Danny and Melinda won for love story or something like that.

Here is the sobering conclusion I came to at the end of the show: I think I'm done with The Real World. There, I said it. I am DONE.

The upcoming season will be the 20th season and I think it will be the first season in years that I have no interest in. I was all of 5 when this crazy experiement with seven strangers started and now, at 25, I'm finally ready to move-out of the RW house!

7 comments:

Jenny Jackson said...

I feel as if we are sharing a brain. I also watched the 2 hour show (no judgment) and every time I said, "OK, if so-and-so wins this award, I'm turning it off!" that person would inevitably win and I would still be unable to turn it off. It's just like you said. I can't NOT watch the crazies. It's built into my system. But, I will say that after having given up on The Real World half way through Denver (seriously, Brooke was NUTS!) and watching absolutely NONE of Sydney, I can tell you that you are making the right decision.

Not only are the people getting crazier, but it's basically a season of Blind Date where the contestants all live together. Nothing real ever happens anymore.

The fact that Austin won Best Season and Danny and Melinda won Best Love Story is such a terrible disgrace that I can't even explain it. That season was awful, and those two are the reason why. I would have easily have given it to Key West or Philadelphia. And speaking of...as for the photo: I definitely would have been able to remember that was Philly's season and would have been able to name MJ, Shavonda and Landon, but probably no one else.

And I still think you should have sent in that tape!

Kari said...

Where was I when this tape-making occured?? It must have been your Senior year, Brittnee. I only vaguely recall it. But then again, my memory sucks.

I think it is time to give up The Real World, but an important question remains for both of you: Does that include The Gauntlet??

Brittnee said...

Kari you are right, it was my Senior year. Jenny and I wrote the song on our way down to your wedding...so I guess when you ask where you were at that time the answer is that you were getting married.

Kari said...

Gah! I missed out on so much during your Senior year!!!

You should have filmed your video in the lovely Evergreen suite!

Brittnee said...

I would have made it on the show for sure if I had done that.

Jenny Jackson said...

Uhm, no this doesn't include the Gauntlet...as long as people I remember as still on it. This last time there were a few peeps who I didn't recognize and I think if that number were to go up, I'd have to give up watching.

Kari said...

Ok good, because I still plan on watching the Gauntlet!