10.05.2007

Beyond "The Office"

Because the fall TV premieres are in full swing, I thought we probably need to re-evaluate our favorite TV shows. I gave several new shows a shot this year, because I didn't seem to think that our current TV schedule was quite full enough. I ask you, if we aren't watching TV from 7-11, every single night, then are we really living? That's what I thought.

For me, the show that has the most potential is Pushing Daisies. The premise is pretty silly, but then again, so is the show itself. But it's silly and charming and fun. Brittnee described it as "colorful" and she couldn't be more right. I look forward to watching it next week. Now I just have to get Brant on board with me. He wasn't quite as impressed by the show.

Next on my list is Dirty Sexy Money. It just sounds good, right? And I enjoyed it. I think the characters are fun and since there are so many, the writers have plenty to work with. Could it be the modern-day Dallas? Maybe. I was too young to fully appreciate Dallas... okay, I didn't watch it because my parents wouldn't let me. But since almost everyone knows what "Who shot JR?" means, I'm thinking it was a hit. And I know it was full of intrigue and deceit and all about the family. We'll see how Dirty Sexy Money fairs, but I for one will be watching.
And now for a quick run-down of the other shows we watched:
Chuck- Pretty entertaining. I've watched two episodes now. I'm not quite hooked, but I do enjoy watching the show.
Gossip Girl - I have not watched this yet, but it is on my DVR waiting. I've heard it's the new OC, but set in Manhattan. What about that doesn't sound good?
Private Practice - Snore. I wanted this to be good because I liked Kate Walsh's character on Grey's Anatomy. Unfortunately, I hate all of the characters on this new show. They are boring and so is the show. Plus, I think I can only stand to watch one medical drama/soap at a time.
Big Shots - I was excited about this show. It was billed as SATC, but with men. However, these men have nothing on Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha. Everything about the show felt forced to me and I didn't find any of the jokes funny.
What have you ladies been watching???




3 comments:

Jenny Jackson said...

I tried out a few new shows and was impressed with a few (Chuck, Bionic Woman and Life) and not so much with some others (Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money and Cavemen).

I was pleased with several of my returning shows like The Office, House, How I Met Your Mother and Ugly Betty and I'm very excited for the premiere of Friday Night Lights tonight.

And I continue to wait patiently for the return of Project Runway and Lost. I am hooked on TV.

Brittnee said...

I pretty much loved Pushing Daisies...I have watched Gossip Girl and it's just ok...it's no The OC...I also watched Dirty Sexy Money and I'll probably watch it again, but only because "Anna" from the OC is in it.

Jenny Jackson said...

After watching Pushing Daisies on Saturday, I immediately added it to my series recordings! It was so good. Quirky and funny and pretty, it's got a lot of good things going for it. I really enjoyed how they set up the story, too.

I also forgot to mention a show that Eric and I really enjoy - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. This show is pretty crazy. It's about four 30-somethings who own a bar in Philly and they do ridiculous things every week. The best thing about it is that it feels real. Even though they are doing things that no one would ever do, since the actors are just riffing off each other, it has this natural quality to it. Oh, and it's hilarious. You should watch it!