8.22.2007

Biggity's Woes


Biggity in an email to HR: I have decided to hire Jill*. Please make her an offer and let me know what else I need to do.

HR Rep (calling Biggity immediately): Why did you choose Jill? What about Joan*, the number two candidate? Why not her?

Biggity: Well to be honest, they both have the same skills necessary for the job. I am confident either candidate could do the job and if I could hire both, I would. However, Jill came across as much more of a go-getter. Overall, I think Jill will raise the bar in my department.

HR Rep: Biggity, raising the bar is not part of the job description.

Biggity: Speechless.


Yes, a conversation very similar to this happened yesterday. I was dumbfounded. I have never had the opportunity (aka burden) of trying to hire someone. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if two people seem to be equally qualified, don't you have to move on to intangibles, such as someone's determination or willingness to not just do their job, but make a solid effort to actually improve the entire department.


Essentially, the HR Rep seems to want someone who will do the following: Get up. Go to work. Do their job. Leave. Repeat. It's no wonder the robot is in the middle of the picture!
*Names changed. I think we all know who Biggity is and who he works for.

2 comments:

Jenny Jackson said...

Why did the HR rep want Joan so much? Are they related? That's really just weird.

I have a bone to pick with Comcast, myself. They currently have a bagillion ad campaigns going. While some of these are good (kids at the workplace and the Slowskys), mostly they don't work for me. It's too disjointed. My least favorite would be the cocky woman who brags about Comcast and talks shit about AT&T. She's a biatch. And also, Comcast DOESN'T work that well for us, so she just makes us want to switch.

Dear Biggity,
I know it's not your fault. I think you're the best. This hate message is not directed at you. Love ya!

Kari said...

The Slowskys are great. Have you seen the new one where the husband says "yes and/or duuuuuh." Talking turtles are funny. But I certainly agree with you on their randomness of commercials. Geico bothers me in a similar way because they have a ton of different commercials.

If Comcast weren't free, we wouldn't have it. We were without a home phone for about three months and he WORKS there! Just stupid. Biggity knows.