8.15.2007

Facebook vs. MySpace

It seems like nearly everyone is using at least one of the two online social communities. What I want to know is, which one is better?

Personally, I prefer Facebook. It's cleaner, it's got a better photo sharing system and there is WAAAY less spam from it. Every time I log on to MySpace to check my page, it seems like I'm just deleting spammy emails and ignoring friend requests from people I may or may not know.

With Facebook, it's totally different. I am excited to get new friend requests because then I can check out what that person has been up to via photos or a link to a blog or whatever else. And yes, I have friended people mainly so I can look at their photos. So what? I'm a curious person. And if people don't want me looking at their photos, then they probably shouldn't accept my friend request in the first place. But besides photos, the front page of Facebook is the deciding factor. It's a little news feed about what people I know are up to. If someone adds photos, I can check them out. Someone gets engaged, I see it right on my homepage. It's sorta stalkerish, and when the News Feed section first came out people were not big on it at all, but I like it. It's like a CNN ticker for things that I find interesting.

I know Kari is now a Facebook convert, but what do you prefer? Brittnee has been rebelling against both for some time now and I'm hoping that this post makes her want to join us out there on the interweb. And friend me if you do, cuz I can't wait to see your photos!

3 comments:

Will Askew said...

Facebook is far less sketchy, that is for certain. MySpace is creepy as hell. I do like the fact that you can blog on MySpace though, and the "Note" feature on Facebook is not nearly as good. Plus, everyone uses their real names on Facebook, and don't have names like "CrazySxYBtCh," when in reality, their name is Julie or something. Facebook is better, but I spend more time on MySpace.

Brittnee said...

I continue to snob both. I don't know why...I've just never really gotten into the social networking online thing.

Kari said...

The "CrzySxyBtch" names bother me enormously. Several of my friends on myspace are actually my students from Colorado and few of them put their real names. It's annoying and a little unsettling when a 14-year-old calls themself "she's just another rebound."

The only reason Brittnee is not addicted is because she, I guess, works while at work. No Internet. So strange!

Oh and I like the Bulletin feature on myspace. I do a survey from time to time when I'm bored to tears over here!